Sunday, May 8

Time Does Not Wait

Who is Nana?  Nana is Turkey's great-maternal-grandmother on his biological father's (X's) side.  Nana will not tell you her age, but by the dates on her track trophies in the basement I put her in her mid-90s.  Nana lives alone still.  She is a spit-fire.  And despite her declining health in the last few years I pray that I have her health and sanity at her age.

I used to take Turkey to see Nana religiously.  Every Friday.  We would go to dinner, go shopping, etc.  These days Nana is homebound.  A knee replacement would do her wonders, but at her age it's not worth the risk.  

Soon every Friday became once a month, and then every few months, and then we moved further from her.  This time last year I was busy with last minute wedding details, and then we had gotten word that X was battling his demons again and I didn't want to take a chance of running into him at her house.  Then we were pregnant with Monkey and one thing turned into another.  The next thing I knew it was a year since we visited.  

And when I say we, I mean we.  All of us.  Nana has welcomed Husband from the first day.  She understands how things are.  And Husband has always been so kind and helpful to Nana (he has a soft spot for old ladies).

It had been eating at me that we hadn't been to see Nana.  We needed to see her, she deserved to see Turkey, and he her.  Then a card came in the mail just last week from her, and I knew the door and her heart were still open.  She didn't hold it against us for not getting to see her as often as we did.  

So today, on Mother's Day, armed with three yellow roses and a card we went to visit.  Nana lit up like a Christmas tree when she saw Turkey.  She had gotten older and her health had declined, but she was the same old Nana.  Insisting on us having a soda, keeping her straws in the dishwasher and Oreos in the oven, insisting we take shrimp and deviled eggs home.  She was thrilled to meet Monkey, so happy that Turkey had a brother.  He needed a brother she told us.  



It was as if a year hadn't passed, everything was good.  But I can see how the year has changed her, how she has grown and I feel ashamed of myself for not getting there sooner with Turkey.  Time doesn't wait for me to have more time, it just doesn't happen that way.  I can promise you it will not be another year or months between visits.  We will be part of her life, I cannot let time get away from me again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts