Sunday, March 24

That Was Easy

I remember when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real.  I was in 4th grade and was getting ready to walk out of my school at the end of the day, I can still see the front double doors in my mind, and an older student told me.  I was crushed.

Obviously, being the super awesome cool mom that I am; I wanted to spare my own kids that heartache.  Not that I blame my parents for my lingering Santa Claus belief.

Now RR, he's a special case - he's been doubting the Santa Claus / Easter Bunny / Tooth Fairy gig for a while.  He started questioning when he was 3 or 4 years old, and I've managed to string him along; one holiday after another, for the last few years.  Until today.

RR found a notepad that Husband left laying around with some Easter notes on it and he started making comments about how we needed to "hide" these things better.  I just looked at him and said "Do you think the Easter Bunny is real?".  He smiles.  The smile of knowing the truth.  I told him it was OK to not believe anymore and he smiled even bigger.  Then I told him now that he knows the truth he needs to keep the secret from other kids, especially his brother who has many more years of believing in him.

And  breath a deep sigh of relief.  That was easy.  Honestly I had been trying to figure out the right time to say something to him; and now it's over and done with and we can move onto the next stage - older siblings conspiring with parents to make the holiday magic happen.  I loved helping my parents get the baskets and presents ready for my brothers when I got older and I am looking forward to this next stage with RR.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts