Monday, June 20

Crib and Nurseries

For some reason pregnant women feel the need to set up a nursery, well most of them at least.

I was this way with Turkey.  I had gotten furniture from a co-worker (one of those now outlawed drop side cribs) and went to town decorating before he was born.  I was lucky, Turkey sleep through the night early on and consistently.

This time around I came to my senses and realized that I might not get so lucky again, and with this revelation felt no real desire to put a nursery together for Turkey.  Good thing, because at 4 months age, he's still sleeping in our room.

A friend of mine, M, lent me the most amazing piece of baby furniture ever, an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper.  This has helped in breastfeeding at night, because we don't believe in baby sharing out bed; and keeps our mind at ease about how Monkey is sleeping.

When we were expecting Husband was all about getting the nursery ready.  We got the roomed emptied and we (we as in Husband, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and her boyfriend) painted it a lovely green.  Husband and I looked into bedding sets, but found nothing we liked that was gender neutral (we didn't know the sex of the baby).  After Monkey arrived we ordered his furniture.  Husband was all about getting his crib and changing table... and now he's 4 months and 3 days old and still doesn't sleep in his room.  And we're OK with that, no of us are ready to move him out.

Today however we took a big first step in that transition, we bought his crib mattress and set up his bed.  We put some of his toys in it and introduced him, to what will eventually be his bed.  It's moments like this that make me in awe of how fast he's growing up.  Too fast, isn't that always the case.

I do plan on decorating his room, but I don't think I will ever call it a nursery.  And that's OK.

For all those new moms out there, and the new-moms-to-be; don't stress yourself over trying to get the nursery set up, those big box baby stores make it seem so essential (and really it's not)... there will be plenty of time for that.

And for all you know, you could be like my friend Adrienne over on Irwin Beans, and opt to skip the crib all together (OK Mom I don't think we're getting a crib).  Just do what works for you in a time frame that works for you.

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

We did the same thing: we set up the nursery, and then Evan slept in our room the first 6 months. But, if we have another child, I think I would still do the same thing. It was a way for us to connect to Evan before he was born and to prepare for his arrival. It was a nice feeling standing or sitting in his nursery, knowing he was going to be there in a few months/weeks.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts