Wednesday, June 8

Tuxedo

Tomorrow is Author's Day for Turkey's class. Earlier in the evening he asked if he could wear his tuxedo to school.  I had to break it to him that he did not own a tuxedo.  He was crushed.

The following conversation happened about 30 minutes later in his bedroom as he was getting ready for bed and picking out his clothes for tomorrow.

Turkey: I really need to wear a tuxedo tomorrow.

Me: You don't own one.  Did you forget?

Turkey: But this is a very important day.  Can we go out and get one?

Me: No

Turkey: But I need a tuxedo.

Me: The tuxedo stores are closed it's 8:10.  (Ok, so I told a white lie.)  How about you wear one of your ties and a nice shirt.

Turkey: It needs to be a white shirt.

Me: Your white shirt is long sleeves, how about this nice yellow one.  (holding up a yellow polo)


Turkey: Let me see that.

Me: What tie do you want to wear tomorrow.  (I am holding up his blue one and a red one, at this point Husband walks in and keeps pointing and mouthing "pick the red one".  Turkey clothes his eyes and picks the red one).  Good choice.  The red tie is cool.

Turkey: I don't want to look cool.  I want to look fancy, this is serious.  (Husband leaves)
Turkey proceeds to pick out his darkest pair of long jeans, it's suppose to be 100 tomorrow.  He holds up a white t-shirt with orange print on it.  Can I wear this inside out and backwards?  I'll cut the tag out.

Me: (having no idea where he is going with this, and trying not to laugh because he is so serious) Um, sure.

Turkey: Where are my good black socks.

Me: If they are not in your dresser, then they are dirty.  I didn't see them in your dresser.
Turkey sits down and starts digging through the laundry basket.  

Turkey: I need to find those socks.

Me: Do you want to borrow a pair of Papa's.

Turkey: No, they are too big and I don't want to pull them up so high.  I NEED my socks.  (He then finds one dirty in the corner of his room.)  Then he says to me as serious as I have ever seen him: It is your responsibility to ensure that my laundry is done tonight and my black socks are clean.


At this point I am laughing.

Turkey: Don't laugh at me, this is serious.  Why, oh why, don't I own a tuxedo?

Me: I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you.  You're only 7, it's my job to do your laundry right now.   (I start looking through his dresser again and find another pair of black socks.)  Here can wear these.

Turkey: Perfect.  (And he grabs his black dress shoes.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts