Tuesday, June 7

Sucky-ness

Is that even a word? Sucky-ness? According to my spell-checker it is not, but I am going to go with it.

This is the one word that can think of right now to describe last night and this morning.

I have learned that if Monkey is going to have really rough night, he will be up before or shortly after midnight. So when he woke up because Daddy tripped going to the bathroom at 11pm, I should have known it was going to be a long night.  After that Monkey nursed and was put back down around midnight.

Around 2am he was up again, and we nursed again and again he went down.  But he didn't want to go down, he wanted to be cute and coo and play.  Not my idea of a good time at 2am, especially when I need to be up  at 6am to go to the office.  At 2:30 Turkey came into our room.  He had a nightmare (he's had a lot of those lately).  I welcomed him to bed, and brought Monkey with us, nursing him again.  Around 3:30 I was able to get Turkey back into his bed, only for him to return at 4am because there were bugs in his room (have I told you yet about his bug phobia?).  Of course Monkey is awake, his big brother was around and he LOVES his big brother.  This makes the 2 hour point until I need to get up for work.  With this thought I decide I am quitting, wake up Husband tell him Monkey is awake, Turkey is back in our bed and I am going to sleep on the couch (he has told me if this happens again to get his "ass up sooner").  While laying on the couch I hear Husband spraying Turkey's room with air freshener (aka bug killer).  At 5am Husband comes down and urges me to come back to bed, he is going to give Monkey a breast-milk bottle.  So I go upstairs, reset my alarm for 6:30am, and nurse Monkey who is fussing while waiting for the bottle.  Husband feeds him, I nurse him again and we drift off to sleep around 6am.

6:30am comes and I am up.  I decide to skip nursing Monkey before leaving as he just ate 30 minutes ago.  I pack up my pump, or at least I think I do, write a quick note to Turkey's teacher and grab my laptop and lunch and head to the office (an hour away).

I get into the office 10 minutes late, not bad for getting up 30 minutes late.  I am feeling pretty good, tired but good.

Normally I pump at 9am (getting to the office at 8am), but today I want to pump right away; because my left side is engorged.  So I chit-chat with my boss, turn on my computer and bring my pump into the back room where I "do my milkin' business".  As I am setting it up I realize I left my pump horns at home.  I can see them sitting in the dry rack next to the sink.  D'Oh.  Major D'Oh moment.  I hand pump 2 ounces to relieve some pressure, and begin my over-tired panic attack.

Husband can't bring me the parts I need, lunch is 3+ hours away and I have a vendor coming at 11am (and this vendor is known for being early or late, but never on time).  I hand pump again after an hour, I am feeling deflated and seriously overtired, I  am afraid going to kill my milk supply.  I look for help and words of encouragement on-line.  I mention my situation to HR in passing, she suggests taking an early lunch and getting a manual pump.  I have 45 minutes till my vendor is to arrive.  I send my boss a quick e-mail and dash out the door, with a 20% off coupon in hand.

I pick up a $20 ($16 with my coupon) manual hand-pump, EvenFlo SimplyGo, dash back to work and pump.  Ah... relief, sweet relief.  I was so happy, so much more awake and alert (despite the lack of sleep).  I step out of the back room, pop my pump in the fridge and as I am closing the door I hear my boss and our vendor on the stairs.  I did!!!  Super Mom did it again.  (Or at least I like to think that.)

In the end I pumped a little over 12 ounces at work today with it, not bad considering it was really only half a day and I normally get 15 ounces with my double electric hospital grade model.

Review of pump to follow shortly, I want to use it a little more first.

2 comments:

justadrienne said...

Wow way to turn a story of a sucky night into one where you are Super Mom!

Rebecca said...

Yeah, you definitely qualify for Super Mom status! WTG, Kate!!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts