Monday, April 16

Real Diaper Week 2012

Have you heard about the Great Cloth Diaper Change yet?  Leading up to Earth Day (April 22nd) the Real Diaper Association (a non-profit cloth diaper advocacy group) is hosting Real Diaper Week (April 16-21st) and the 2nd Annual Great Cloth Diaper Change (April 21st).
Did you know that 90% of the diapers changed in the U.S. are into disposable diapers that sit in a landfill for over 500 years in hopes that they will one day decompose?  - Real Diaper Association
In 2011, the Great Cloth Diaper Change set a Guinness Book World Record for the most cloth diapers changed at the same time with 5,026 participants at 127 locations around the world.  For this years event we already have 292+ official events planned and we WILL break last year’s record.  With your help we can reach even more families and share the benefits of using cloth diapers.  Cloth diapers are Real Simple, Real Diapers!

The first time I read this, I had to re-read it a few times; because I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that cloth diapers are REAL diapers; and we cloth diaper.  This got me thinking about how society in general views cloth diapering. And then tonight the point was hammered home when Husband remarked in front of a friend that Turkey almost threw out a used diaper, and the friend remarked "why would you now throw out a used diaper?".  So, based on those two incidences I decided to join the blog hop.  
Cloth diapering has been a learning curve to saw the least; but I learned most of what I know from my friend M who lent us her stash of CDs (cloth diapers) to get us started.  I've picked up hints at local stores that sell them and through on-line groups committed to CDing.  
It really is easy.  Yes, it seems intimidating. Yes, it seems complicated.  Yes, it seems like extra work.  But it really isn't any of these.  
Feel free to ask me about my CDing experiences.; and if we're friends in real life I am more than happy to lend you one of my diapers (I have built up a nice little stash of my own) or two to try.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts