Monday, March 26

Books in the Basement

When you live in the sticks (or is it from the lack of municiple funding these days) you need to either higher a private rubbish removal company or buy special bags and haul your stuff crap to the transfer station yourself.  When we moved out here 3 years ago we first opted for the special bags.  However we soon learned that this did not fit into our schedule so well; so we've been a slave to the private rubbish removal business ever since.

Last summer we started talking about renting a dumpster and taking a week and cleaning out all of the "stuff" we have in the attic and basement.  Honestly, we have boxes in both places that haven't been opened since we moved.  But we never got around to doing this; then we noticed some of our neighbors had dumpsters on their properties versus a large can that gets picked up weekly.  So Husband looked into this option and for a bit more a month we now have a small-ish dumpster and a smaller-small-ish recycling dumpster in the far corner of our driveway.

Having these has allowed us to slowly and surely go through all of the things we've amassed over the years and downsize.  It's been liberating to throw out my band jacket from 1990-something, along with other items that were simply taking up space.

However with all the good steps we've taken in downsizing we're bound to pick-up a few new treasures along the way.  One such event that we would find said treasures at is "The Friends of the Library" bi-annual book sale event.  We go the last weekend every time it rolls around and stock up on 50 cent books and the like.

We've been looking forward to the spring sale, coming this weekend, for about a month now... and I had just finished a book so I was really looking forward to going.  But then this weekend while working in the basement I found two boxes of my old books.  Swoon, I am in love.

Right now I am reading "Pink Slip Party" by Cara Lockwood.  This book is a classic chic lit and a fast read.  I couldn't tell you the last time I read it and I am loving every moment.  I also found my copy of "Breaking the Good Mom Myth" by Alyson Schafer.  This was my bible when Turkey was Monkey's age and I don't think I would have made it with my sanity in tact without it.  I am so so so looking forward to diving into this one again.

And then there are my Kurt Vonnegut books.  Oh, I love me some Kurt Vonnegut.  And I'm not talking his standard text of Slaughter House 5, which I suspect every public high school student in 1990s read, I'm talking about his threaded works in "Cat's Cradle" through "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater".  Can you hear my heart beating a little faster... ah... love....


I'm honestly considering starting to pump again at work, just so I can have a 10 minute break to read while pumping.  Hey, it would be beneficial to me and the baby.  Right?

Now, if only I could find my copy of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith.  Perhaps, it's tucked away in a box in the attic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts